Re: gEDA-user: Labview-like Looking for a project

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 18:43 -0400, al davis wrote:
> On Saturday 31 March 2007 15:32, John Griessen wrote:
> > The existing NI hardware isn't required.  They will support
> > LXI, which is ethernet-like, and expensive.
>
> That doesn't eliminate the need for NI software.  What good is
> that?

I have used NI software in Linux. The "C" API in their nidaq mx-base
wasn't really up-to what I'd expected of a company like NI. It required
polling, and didn't have time-stamping or means to synchronise the
sampled data.

This might be because I'm using a very very cheap NI USB DAQ card, and
you're "supposed" to use it with Labview.

Making the drivers work under a non-supported linux distro was "fun",
and involved fixing up the source for their kernel module. (The open
part just loads binary .o files, so it taints the kernel).

Peter