gEDA-user: Labview-like Looking for a project

Andy Peters wrote:

Give me drivers for my existing NI hardware, and you've got a deal!

The existing NI hardware isn't required.  They will support LXI, which is ethernet-like, and expensive.

We should just use and promote an open standard on  plain ethernet, and alowing for the precision
time protocol to be added in.  PTP gives you 25ns resolution over ethernet, so you can setup distributed
measurements, and controls.   PTP needs access to the ethernet MAC layer plus the packet content as it goes by
for hardware pattern matching and time-stamping of just one special kind of packet as it flies by.
So some chips that integrate, but bury the MAC layer are not good for it...

John Griessen