Re: gEDA-user: Multiple open pages in gschem

On Mar 31, 2007, at 4:20 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:

I'm hoping to conduct a brief census of people who use multiple pages in
gschem. I'm working on some code-changes to libgeda which may change the
navigation model slightly, and wanted to see how it is used now.

This is a feature which confuses some new users, as it can make work
"disappear" behind a new page.

I'm also unsure if the "user-model" (what the user thinks the program
does), matches the program's behaviour:

Do you use multiple windows running from the same copy of gschem?

Not very often, but occasionally I find the need to look at one page while filling in the details of another, or to do complicated partial cut and paste operations. Then it's handy to have two windows.

Do you use multiple running copies of gschem?

Generally not on the same design. But sometimes I'm working on one when a question comes up about another.

Do you use these for related schematics? (Do you tend to have multiple pages from the same design?)

If the the pages are from the same design, I'll use multiple windows in the same gschem instance. For different designs, I'll use different gschem instances. The main reason is that different designs generally use different local symbol/source/model libraries and therefore different gafrc files.

How much use do you make of hierarchy traversal? (Schematic or symbol down, up, page next, page previous)?

Symbol up/down a lot. Page next/previous a lot.

Schematic up/down only in complex designs where the product is a netlist for board layout.

When the product is a SPICE netlist (for simulation and/or VLSI layout) I want SPICE handling the hierarchy. I can't use the source attribute then: it causes gnetlist/spice-sdb to flatten the netlist (and make netnames that ngspice doesn't like). It's slightly inconvenient not to have schematic up/down then, but it's not a big deal.

Note that my deliverable end product from gEDA is generally a netlist. My customers have their own preferred layout contractors and tools. The flexibility of gnetlist is very important here.

John Doty Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd. jpd@xxxxxxxxx