Re: gEDA-user: licensing Ronja under GNU FDL

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 12:15 am, Lars Segerlund wrote:
> > Is anyone holding an opinion here that the whole copyright matter is
> > just a piece of shit and information just wants to be free?

Read the materials on the Creative Commons website.  You'll find that our
existing copyright laws are so baroque that CC exists to faciliate open
distribution of materials other than software.  Public domain is NOT
sufficient.

While I personally agree with your opinions 100%, historical precedent
suggests that public domain and other forms of non-protected, open
distribution has either proven unable to hold up in court or is found to
be increasingly *difficult* to hold up in court.

Note that I define a "protected, open license" as a license such that at
least one term of the license *mandates* the openness of the information
licensed.  Such as, GPL, LGPL, BSD, and a wide variety of CC licenses.

Copyright is a legal tool used by authors to protect their works.  But it
works both ways: you can use it to ensure information stays free just as
easily as you can use it to ensure information stays closed.

The choice is yours.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II