Re: gEDA-user: smd challenge board status - last step!

On Friday 20 October 2006 20:45, DJ Delorie wrote:

> I haven't gotten any feedback about the "limit two per person" either.

I'll give some feed back to that. I was planing on ordering ten.
Not that I'm that bad at soldering, but some people at work could use
some practice.

Also on the $0.37 surcharge for PayPal, is that per board, or per order?

>  It's a gamble between "way too many left" and "way too many
> people want them".  I figure two lets you lose a few parts and still
> get a working board ;-)

You could always buy one of those small ads in the back of Circuit Cellar
magazine, and sell thousands, or not....

I tried copy&pasting from the PDF but that didn't go well.

I don't recommend relying on "black spot on the inside of the LED".

When I was working for Contract Manufacture there was one LED that
had no marking, but you could look inside it and see which lead was which,
by the way they where bent.  Someone made a drawing of this, and that
became part of the official documentation.  After several years, without
warning, the LEDs where flipped inside their package, but the leads
where still bent the same way.  So when you put them
in they did not light, but they matched, the now wrong, official documentation.
Thousands of  boards  had to be reworked.

I would add a "*" to the C2-C5 in the BOM and the note box about "populate
only C2 or .."  I'd also add a note marker to R3-R4 linking to the "you'll have two
left over when you are done".  Otherwise it just looks like the BOM is wrong
in both cases, because the designators do not match the quantities.

Won't two AA's power this rather than messing with a 9V and 7805?