Re: gEDA-user: How to use common symbols on multiple computers using pcb

> i put mine into source control, so that i can go back in time and work
> on old files easily enough....

> when schematics reference a symbol you used years ago and you have
> updated it, you may need the older one for the schematic.  you
> checkout a copy from that date..... and it works.

I'm too using source control (subversion) for everything I do, from
schematics to PCB layouts.  Might not seem intuitive to use such a thing
on non programming language files, but it works very well.  Given that
all the data file formats involved are text files.

If you accidentally changed some file, then a "svn diff" might produce
quite readable output of what was changed.

For footprints, the tagging facility of subversion might also be very
useful: once a design is done, you create a branch of your personal
symbols and footprints in a sub-directory of your design.  If you later
update your footprints, then the branch created in your design's
directory won't change.  That way you won't have to remember the date of
your design, when checking out the symbols, which is what Steven
recommended.

just my $0.02

David