Re: gEDA-user: improve PNG output quality

Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On Monday 20 October 2008 21:34:47 Wojciech Kazubski wrote:
>> I use EPS to transfer gschem circuit diagrams to OO, it works almost fine.
>> The first problem is that gschem is not taking line width into account when
>> calculating the image extent and this results in slight image clipping. The
>> second problem is with postscript font not exactly  matching the vector one
>> (visible on screen), which also may cause some unwanted clipping.
>>
>> In my opinion , the exporter should use specified dpi resolution and
>> variable size for PNG (and other bitmap) format. Default resolution should
>> be 100dpi for good quality.

Fully agree. Setting image size (as gschem currently does) makes no
sense. DPI is the only setting that does make sense because then the
user does not have to measure the total area first. Eagle sets 150dpi as
a default but I always move that to 300. The resulting PNG files are
still remarkably small. I think one can correct those defaults because
Eagle is fairly "open source" when it comes to user interaction. But
when the current project load eases off (if it ever does ...) I want to
try a switch to gschem anyhow.

> I recommend looking at the bitmap export dialog from Inkscape as an example of
> the Right Way to do this, IMHO.

Or look at Cadsoft Eagle (there is a free hobby version of it).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.