Re: gEDA-user: pcb mouse bindings

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 11:03 +0200, Duncan Drennan wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, what mouse bindings do you want?
>
> The main thing I wanted was consistency with gschem. I wanted to
> change the pan from the right mouse button to the centre one. I know I
> can change the pan button in gschem (via gschemrc), but then I can't
> access the pop-up menu as this is not allowed via the middle mouse
> button. I just want a consistent set of actions so that I don't have
> to relearn them each time I change programmes.
>
> Wrt GTK & lesstif: I haven't yet gone and figured out what the
> difference is between these two implementations - which is "better"
> (preferable) and what are the differences (from a user perspective)?

Different GUI toolkits with different look and feel.

Unfortunately, the screenshots on geda.seul.org are somewhat out of
date, and I can't find any on pcb.sourceforge.net.

Basically, the GTK HID looks and feels a lot more like gschem (which
also uses GTK), even sharing some similar code for the symbol /
footprint browser (with preview), exit confirmation dialogs etc.

The graphics of the Lesstif HID are more minimalistic, and "classic
X11". A couple of the active PCB developers use this interface, so
sometimes it will see bug-fixes / new features first.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,