gEDA-user: Is there a directory of footprints for PCB?

I am trying to learn the gEDA suite and PCB.

It is much different than Viewdraw (for schematic capture) and Traxmaker
(for Board Layout). I used to be able to go very fast with these tools,
I do not know yet how this compares, because it is still confusing.

Playing around this morning trying to figure out how this worked I
decided to select some 0603 resistor footprints to see what they looked
like.
I found:

newlib ->  not_vetted_ingo -> smt0603.ele
pcblib -> ~geda -> 0603 Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc [0603]
pcblib -> ~geda -> CAPC0603L, Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc
[CAPC0603L]
pcblib -> ~geda -> CAPC0603M, Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc
[CAPC0603M]
pcblib -> ~geda -> CAPC0603N, Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc
[CAPC0603N]
pcblib -> ~geda -> RESC0603L, Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc
[RESC0603L]
pcblib -> ~geda -> RESC0603M, Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc
[RESC0603M]
pcblib -> ~geda -> RESC0603N, Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc
[RESC0603N]
pcblib-newlib -> geda -> 0603.fp
pcblib-newlib -> geda -> CAPC0603L.fp
pcblib-newlib -> geda -> CAPC0603M.fp
pcblib-newlib -> geda -> CAPC0603N.fp
pcblib-newlib -> geda -> RES0603L.fp
pcblib-newlib -> geda -> RESC0603M.fp
pcblib-newlib -> geda -> RESC0603N.fp

There are huge differences in the size of these footprints!

For example, the whole CAPC0603L footprint fits in the space between the
pads of smt0603.ele

First of all why so many? When would you use one versus another?

Is there a directory or listing of the Footprints so when I am doing my
schematics or editing attributes I know what name I should use? (This is
one reason I really like heavy symbols. Figure it out once and it stays
with that component when I select it in the schematic.)

Why don't you use standard names like TO-220, TO-92, TO-252, TO-263? I
could not find them.

Are there other footprint directories that I should be using?

Thanks,
Kip
--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB
"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."