Re: gEDA-user: Is there a directory of footprints for PCB?

Kipton Moravec wrote:

> Playing around this morning trying to figure out how this worked I
> decided to select some 0603 resistor footprints to see what they looked
> like.
> I found:

> There are huge differences in the size of these footprints!
>
> For example, the whole CAPC0603L footprint fits in the space between the
> pads of smt0603.ele
>
> First of all why so many?
[jg]It's a legacy of many early pcb users libraries.  There is a move afoot to organize
and purge some of the legacy libraries so newbies don't have to look in so many
dirs to get the likely ones to experiment with.  You volunteering  to review the existing ones
would speed it up...

When would you use one versus another?

[jg]Style points, diff. fab processes.

> Is there a directory or listing of the Footprints so when I am doing my
> schematics or editing attributes I know what name I should use? (This is
> one reason I really like heavy symbols. Figure it out once and it stays
> with that component when I select it in the schematic.)

Here's a nice concept for using gschem and pcb:
http://www.dynamag.com/pyGEDA/index.html

> Why don't you use standard names like TO-220, TO-92, TO-252, TO-263? I
> could not find them.
[jg] Again, a legacy of individuality.

> Are there other footprint directories that I should be using?
[jg] gedasymbols.org is a start, and also luciani.org -- John has a naming convention for
his library data you might like.

John Griessen

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX