Re: gEDA-user: Is there a directory of footprints for PCB?

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Kipton Moravec <kip@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> newlib ->  not_vetted_ingo -> smt0603.ele
> pcblib -> ~geda -> 0603 Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc [0603]
> pcblib -> ~geda -> CAPC0603L, Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc
> [CAPC0603L]
> pcblib -> ~geda -> CAPC0603M, Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc
> [CAPC0603M]
> pcblib -> ~geda -> CAPC0603N, Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc
> [CAPC0603N]
> pcblib -> ~geda -> RESC0603L, Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc
> [RESC0603L]
> pcblib -> ~geda -> RESC0603M, Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc
> [RESC0603M]
> pcblib -> ~geda -> RESC0603N, Standard SMT resistor, capacitor, etc
> [RESC0603N]
> pcblib-newlib -> geda -> 0603.fp
> pcblib-newlib -> geda -> CAPC0603L.fp
> pcblib-newlib -> geda -> CAPC0603M.fp
> pcblib-newlib -> geda -> CAPC0603N.fp
> pcblib-newlib -> geda -> RES0603L.fp
> pcblib-newlib -> geda -> RESC0603M.fp
> pcblib-newlib -> geda -> RESC0603N.fp
>
> There are huge differences in the size of these footprints!
>
> For example, the whole CAPC0603L footprint fits in the space between the
> pads of smt0603.ele
>
> First of all why so many? When would you use one versus another?

The "L" suffix is for Least material, "N" for nominal and "M" for most.
This is from IPC-7351. You choose between the sizes based on your
manufacturing process and design goals. For hand assembly I would
use either N or M.

> Why don't you use standard names like TO-220, TO-92, TO-252, TO-263? I
> could not find them.
>
> Are there other footprint directories that I should be using?

I have TO-220, TO-92 and TO-263 at
http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-footprint-list.html

(* jcl *)

--