Re: gEDA-user: Is there a directory of footprints for PCB?

Kipton Moravec wrote:
> I do not want to start a flame war,
.
.
.
  Everyone
> should design for the machine.

You might get one.  But probably not...  gEDA users are about as individual as they come,
and often do things "their way", so you won't be able to convince them to all
design any one way.

 > The biggest problem nowadays is that the designers do not follow the
 > board through production in most places.

Many gEDA users do.  They are also the individualistic ones that make their own footprints and symbols
slightly differently from others.

 > I worked at an assembly shop for awhile, so I would better understand
 > the assembly process, and I could design for manufacturability.

Then you can help a lot with organizing gschem and pcb libraries, such as are published at gedasymbols.org.

The problem of publishing well tested, dependable footprints is not easy -- it takes effort to test things.
We've talked here about ideas like a website full of "vetted" footprints, but no agreement on how to proceed.

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX