Re: gEDA-user: Is there a directory of footprints for PCB?

   Ahh, haha.
   In the USA, electronic design engineers have been using inches (with
   0603 meaning 0.06 by 0.03 inches) to describe surface mount resistors
   and capacitors.
   Folks in other countries have probably always been using metric.
   But I've noticed that recently digikey.com (a popular supplier of
   low-volume electronic parts in the USA) is listing the metric sizes in
   parenthesis after the inch sizes for their standard
   0201/0402/0603/0805 sizes.
   [1]http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=65769;stoc
   k=1;rohs=1;pbfree=1
   0201 (0603 metric)
   0402 (1005 metric)
   0603 (1608 metric) and so on is how digikey does it.
   (Digikey does still list these parts by their inch as the primary
   name, but provides the metric as a secondary.)
   So what the primary standard is depends on whether you're in the USA.
   I'm in the USA but most gEDA developers probably are not.
   DJ Delorie wrote:

Why in gods name would some one call a footprint 0603 when it is
really an 0201. Nobody uses a metric name for resistors or
capacitors. You folks are asking for trouble.

It's not us, it's the international standards.  We're microscopic fish
in a galaxy-sized pond.

Nikola Engineering Inc.
224 W. Washington St.
Suite 104