Re: gEDA-user: pcb, polygon dead copper removal question

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 16:47 +0100, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> I do not fully understand what is going on when a polygon is divided by
> a trace (with clearance).
>
> Is there somewhere an explanation how it (should) work?
>
> Is there a way to deactivate the removal of copper?
> It is my impression that always the smaller part of a rectangle/polygon
> is removed, even when the two sub-parts are connected by a trace?
> I think this is not always desired.

I have some scratch code to do a proper pour, keeping all pieces which
aren't connected to something "better", such as a line, via, etc.. That
seems to work vaguely nicely for me, but the code isn't ready yet.

I still need to figure out how to make it backwards compatible with the
old polygon method, lots of things to finish off, corner cases to fix
for triggering island detection. Also, I need to work out if I can make
island detection work fast enough to update on the fly without annoying
the user, or whether that process (perhaps pouring its-self) needs to be
a manually invoked operation.

Best regards,

--
Peter Clifton