Re: gEDA-user: pcb, howto partition power planes?

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> You may want to check power factor.
>
> Perhaps you're thinking of power efficiency?  You don't pay for power
> factor problems (imaginary power).

Efficiency is probably low. Power factor is probably low too.
I believe the utility charges for Volt-Amperes (VA). For PF < 1
you are paying. My guess for a typical PC power supply would
be 60-70% efficient and a PF of 0.7 - 0.75. Just guesses.

>> Don't you have a number of PCs running 24x7?
>
> Yup, at least six of them.

If you need another fun project ---

Rack mount power distribution box with a
PF corrected front end (PF > 0.99) and some high
efficiency DC-DC converters. ;-)

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org