Re: gEDA-user: pcb, howto partition power planes?

> That's going to be more serious work. Holding tanks, fine control of
> pressure and so on.

Well, it's more like "oh, the well uses X kwh, can't do anything about
that".

> Oh, and if you have teenage girls tell them that the daily shower does
> not have to exceed 30 minutes/person ;-)

I have two teenagers, but my son is the water worshiper.  I do know
that *heating* water is only a minor cost in our grand scheme of
things.

> I can understand that you are cautious about the point-blank
> statement

Not cautious - I realize I just don't know enough about this to judge.

> This avoids nasty rework in case the ground split does fly into your
> face.

Hmmm... The AVdd and reset signals go between the grounds.  I don't
expect I need as much perfection in this to warrant serious
investigation into noise, just a design that works "well enough" in a
robust way.

I suspect I'll end up just merging the ground and power planes, and
providing per-chip Vdd isolation (it's just a resistor).

> Well, 23MWh is huge. Unless you guys heat with electricity.

Nope!  Heat is half wood, half oil, with a little passive solar
(windows) thown in for fun.  Oh, and all that waste heat from the
electricity, but it's not the primary heat.

> Recording runtimes of the big motors, compressors etc. would
> probably help a lot. Also, current surges like when the pump
> cycles. That can give you an indication of how well investments such
> as additional holding tanks would pay off.

Yup.  Hard tellin', not knowin'.