gEDA-user: Autonumbering in multi-page schematic

   I have three pages of schematics named: name_1.sch, name_2.sch and
   name_3.sch.  I want to autonumber the refdeses for the whole
   hierarchy.  I did a tu, set it for autonumber text in: whole
   hierarchy, skip numbers found in: selected objects and I checked the
   overwrite existing numbers box.  It is only autonumbering the page I
   start it on.  Is this because of the way I have the pages saved?
   Thanks