gEDA-user: CPLDs and other high-density logic chips...

I am working on a project that, in the end, may require me to utilize
a CPLD just to get the thing working and cost-effective.  But I really
have no knowledge of how to prototype with such beasts.

Is there a body of resources that you folks would recommend to a
*total* neophyte with respect to CPLDs and FPGAs?  The farthest I've
gotten in Verilog was to actually get something to simulate via
Icarus, but actual synthesis and resynthesis is something that still
escapes me, unfortunately.

Also, what kind of capital investment am I looking at?

My plan was to use a relatively simple CPLD for address decoding and
other glue logic functions, but also perhaps an FPGA for generating
VGA (640x480) video.

Thanks.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II