Re: gEDA-user: PCB a bad name ?

In fact all modern distributions use good package management systems and
there is no excuse for not using one of those distros.

But it is possible dat gEDA/pcb isn't present in some distributions. What I was trying to say is that IMHO the responsibility to provide good packages is the task of the distribution.

I don't know other distributions very well, but in Debian it is possible to
use reportbug and fill in a RFP (request for package). Maybe this is also
possible in other distributions?

Ummmm, the entire gEDA suite is now available as RPM packages in
Fedora Extras, available for FC3, 4, 5.  See here :

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/describecomponents.cgi?product=Fedora%20Extras

There are also RPMs for SuSE, available here (thanks, Werner!):

http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/werner2101/

Eventually we will put links to these packages -- along with
installation instructions -- onto the gEDA downloads page and into the
Wiki.  I haven't done it yet since I have many other, higher priority
things to do.  If somebody else wants to update the wiki (on their
own) and create a new, improved downloads page, I will be happy to
stick the downloads page into the gEDA webserver.

Stuart