Re: gEDA-user: Hm...not much improvement

As a matter of fact ...I know how to create desktop icons and edit the properties.  I also know how to transfer them to the toolbars.  But most apps that either come with Fedora or are popular "add ons" for Fedora also have GUI installers that work 10 times better (if not more) than the gEDA installation (either one) and which DO include at least a step to create a menu item somewhere on the menu system that is brought up by the equivalent to the "Start Button" in Windoze.  This is my complaint.  While I am capable of creating further integration on my own....I know that many novice users of Linux often point to such inadequacies with alot of contempt.  This  conversation apparently was aimed at improving the "acceptance" of gEDA among a greater number of EE's.  Which I would also like to see happen.  But if nobody shoulders the responsibility of taking care of such "minor details"...then such acceptance is not likely ever to occur.

Arthur

Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If you insist upon running Yumex, or Foomex or Barex or whatever,
>> then you take upon yourself the burden of actually knowing how to
>> use it and successfully install software on it.
>
> yumex is an RPM installer for Fedora. He said he was using stock FC5,
> which is one of the supported platforms.

Oh. Boy am I dumb!

In any event, if he is using stock FC5 then he should have no
problems. I suspect user error, and think he should do some more
reading and investigating before posting bleats to geda-user.
Complaining that no icon is put into the KDE toolbar (for example)
evinces a high level of ignorance which likely is the root of his
problems.

Just my opinion . . . .

Stuart