Re: gEDA-user: Hm...not much improvement

> As a matter of fact ...I know how to create desktop icons and edit
the properties.  I also know how to transfer them to the toolbars.
But most apps that either come with Fedora or are popular "add ons"
for Fedora also have GUI installers that work 10 times better (if not
more) than the gEDA installation (either one) and which DO include at
least a step to create a menu item somewhere on the menu system that
is brought up by the equivalent to the "Start Button" in Windoze.
This is my complaint.  While I am capable of creating further
integration on my own....I know that many novice users of Linux often
point to such inadequacies with alot of contempt.  This  conversation
apparently was aimed at improving the "acceptance" of gEDA among a
greater number of EE's.  Which I would also like to see happen.  But
if nobody shoulders the responsibility of taking care of such "minor
details"...then such acceptance is not likely ever to occur.

Arthur,

Thousands of people have downloaded gEDA and use it successfully.  We
know this from purusing the web logs.  Scores of people have put their
gEDA projects on the web.  Therefore, acceptance is happpening all
around you.

We do strive to make gEDA accessible to newbies.  However, experience
shows that we can't make everybody happy.  Moreover, since the
developers do the work as *volunteers*, nobody will jump and work on
an ill-posed complaint like yours.  Because they do it for fun, the
developers  tend to work on projects they are interested in, and which
satisfy their own goals.  They also accept patches from
others, which means that the project is open to the community.

We do work towards user friendliness, but since the program is used by people who live on the command line, we don't always incorporate every
point-and-drool feature which total newbies allegedly want. Patches
implementing those features would likely be accepted. In any
event, gEDA is not a closed software "product" which takes direction
from a Marketing Manager and must slavishly cater to a customers every
whim. It is an open-source "project" meaning that it is a community
of hackers who work together on a set of common application useful to
all.

But
if nobody shoulders the responsibility of taking care of such "minor
details"...then such acceptance is not likely ever to occur.

Perhaps. So why don't *you* shoulder the responsibility??

If you really want gEDA to install a desktop icon, I encourage you to
do the work yourself, and then submit a patch.  Or pay somebody to
create a patch and send it in.  Otherwise,  just sitting around
and complaining about open-source software developed by others means
that you're just a crank.

Stuart