Re: gEDA-user: Hm...not much improvement

Arthur Baldwin wrote:

> But most apps that either come with Fedora or are popular "add ons"
> for Fedora also have GUI installers that work 10 times better

Funny, I always thought the whole concept of installers is incompatible
 with the distro way of application management. Come to think of it,
gedagaf is actually the first installer I used on a linux box in eight
years. Everything else was either in the distro (Debian) or so much
cutting edge that the developers were busy working on pre beta versions.

> But if nobody shoulders the responsibility of taking care of such "minor
> details"...

Minor details are just that: Minor details.
They won't swing much opinion. After all, we are not talking about the
average windows Joe, but EEs who already experienced some other EDA
application. To them other arguments matter more: Can my former
schematics, layouts and libs be converted? How long will it take until I
can work fluently with this UI, like I can with the commercial tool I
use now? Is there a major feature geda/gaf excels at, like an auto
router that actually works as efficiently as an experienced human?

For obvious reasons none of these questions are likely to get a positive
answer anytime soon. But then what? It just means that there won't be a
rush of geda adoption. The geda suite still is a proper tool for many
projects and is getting better by the version.

Just my two euro cents,

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak