Re: gEDA-user: PCB a bad name ?

Hugo Elias wrote:

> things I love about PCB is the fact that
> there are single key commands, to switch layers, and choose
> tools, etc. This means I can work two handed, making it faster,
> and reducing RSI.

Full ack.
pcb excels in this.
Being able to increment sizes with a single key is a big bonus.

> If I could change something about the interface, I would like
> to see it being more dynamic, I.E. giving more real-time feedback
> to the user.

Full ack again.

> When you hover the mouse over an object, it would be great if
> the object could highlight, so you can be sure you know what
> you'll grab when you click.

you name it.

> And other info could be displayed about that object too.
> For example track/via thickness, drill size, joined or not.

Please put this info to a command line rather than where the mouse sits.
   Some kind of pop up balloons would be too much clutter.

> Also an outline of the solder-resist spacing.

I feel no need for that. Spacing can be conveniently seen and worked on
if I switch its layer to visible.

> When you hover the mouse over a grab handle, they could
> appear, so you know what'll happen when you click n' drag.

Some applications switch the mouse icon if special actions are
available. This puts the info right where your eyes are, but won't
distract attention. As a bonus the Xserver deals with all the pixel hassles.

> (check out our robot hand. All 37 PCBs in it were designed with Pcb.
> http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/overview.shtml)

excellent. First time I see these air muscles outside a Festo boot on
Hannover fair.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak