gEDA-user: Minor details (was Re: Hm...not much improvement)

kmk wrote:
Arthur Baldwin wrote:

Minor details are just that: Minor details.
They won't swing much opinion. After all, we are not talking about the
average windows Joe, but EEs who already experienced some other EDA
application. To them other arguments matter more: Can my former
schematics, layouts and libs be converted? How long will it take until I
can work fluently with this UI, like I can with the commercial tool I
use now? Is there a major feature geda/gaf excels at, like an auto
router that actually works as efficiently as an experienced human?

Let me add a couple of eurocents: in the domain of the electrical automation and distribution gschem, if not the whole of gEDA, could be a strong competitor if only a few "minor details" were addressed:
1) Effective support for multipage schematics, with a common "layer 0" for titleblocks and automatic page numbering.
2) An IEC compliant library of electromechanical symbols (switches, disconnectors, contactors...).
3) (Semi)Automatic numbering of nets and symbols in compliance to IEC rules.

More could be said, but these are the basic issues. Notice that although Autocad is a very poor tool for capturing schematics it deals fairly easily with all three aspects of automation/distribution electrical design.

So, fellow coders, how and when shall we address them?

Alex

Ing. Alessandro Baretta

Studio Baretta
http://studio.baretta.com/

Consulenza Tecnologica e Ingegneria Industriale
Technological Consulting and Industrial Engineering

Headquarters
tel. +39 02 370 111 55
fax. +39 02 370 111 54

Lab