Re: gEDA-user: Linux's answer to SolidWorks

The machine shop in using wants an IGES file.

For those of you who've used bender.  I have a 21" x 16" grid of thicknesses of my backrest for every inch both horizontally and vertically.  What would you suggest is the best procedure to come up with a 3-D model of the backrest?

1.  Place a point with x, y and z values for each data-point?
2.  For each row of points make a horizontal line, or splines?
3.  For all the splines make a surface, interpolating the points in between each spline?
4.  Create a 3-D model from the surface and thickness?

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Ormund Williams <ormundw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 00:46 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:34:38 -0400, Ormund Williams wrote:
>
> > Have you tried rendering the output of VariCAD in blender or some other
> > rendering program?
>
> Yes, I did and it produced nice results. However, it took me quite a
> while to get used to the rather exotic interface of blender. I uploaded a
> blender image of a laser diode package to wikipedia:
>       http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdiode

That looks encouraging, I'm designing an enclosure rf tag and the
customer wants to see what it looks like.

__
Ormund