Re: gEDA-user: symbol attributes

On Sep 8, 2008, at 1:30 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 19:41 +0200, Levente Kovacs wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I created a symbol with two attributes attached. When I place that
>> symbol on my schematic, only one of them is listed in the attribute
>> editor (with the ee command).
>>
>> How can I make gschem to copy all attributes along the symbol as it
>> places it?
>
> Only certain invisible attributes are promoted. This list is in the
> gafrc file, for example, my system-gafrc:
>
> ; always-promote-attributes
> ;
> ; Set the list of attributes that are always promoted regardless of
> ; their visibility.
> ;
> (always-promote-attributes "footprint device value model-name")

This approach makes it harder to revise designs or incorporate
schematics in multiple projects. It's much easier if the defaults for
these are in the symbol rather than being promoted. Then, if you want
the default capacitor footprint to be 0402 rather than 0603 you only
have to change it in one place (the symbol). Wholesale changes of
promoted attributes require much more work.

Of course, if the default is wrong for a particular instance, you can
always override the symbol's attribute with an attached one in the
schematic: you don't need the promotion mechanism to do that.

I do not like practices that turn quick, automated procedures into
slow, manual ones!

Think "inheritance"...

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx