Re: gEDA-user: symbol attributes

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:29:36 -0600
John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This approach makes it harder to revise designs or incorporate
> schematics in multiple projects. It's much easier if the defaults
> for these are in the symbol rather than being promoted. Then, if you
> want the default capacitor footprint to be 0402 rather than 0603 you
> only have to change it in one place (the symbol). Wholesale changes
> of promoted attributes require much more work.
>
> Of course, if the default is wrong for a particular instance, you
> can always override the symbol's attribute with an attached one in
> the schematic: you don't need the promotion mechanism to do that.
>
> I do not like practices that turn quick, automated procedures into
> slow, manual ones!
>
> Think "inheritance"...

I don't do any manual attribute editing, except the 'id=xx'. The rest
is done by perl scripts, and a database backend. I have certain
symbols, for example a power symbol for 74xxx logics, that doesn't need
to be identified, so that is why I want to store in there an id=0
attribute, which will say to my perl script to ignore that symbol. I
have a few "heavy" symbols with an id=xx attribute in it, and would be
nice to have them promoted.

Well, it is very hard to change all capacitors from 0603 to 0402,
indeed.

--
Levente Kovacs <leventelist@xxxxxxxxx>