gEDA-user: API documentation for writing a PCB plugin ?

Thanks to the discussions here over the last few days, I've just found
out that PCB users who are also programmers can write their own
plugins for use with PCB (a fact that doesn't appear to be documented
within the PCB manual - I tried grepping the documentation for plugin
after I realised that the facility existed in case I had missed
something, but didn't find anything).

I've found various plugins written by the regulars here. What I have
not yet found is any formal API documentation for the plugin
architecture.

Does any such documentation exist or is it a case of starting by
examining the source code of the existing plugins?

If it's the latter, are there any recommended plugins to start with ?

Thanks,

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley