gEDA-user: How to split one large PCB into two smaller ones

Since some days I am thinking about splitting a large pcb board into two
parts to fit it in a case. I think total size of pcb will be 20cm*30cm
(schematics is 18 pages, I pointed to it some days ago), I want to split
it into two parts each 15cm*20cm. (One pcb analog part, other digital.)
But I am not sure how to do this split best.

I may do it in the schematic or pcb level. I think I should do it in the
pcb level, because it is a low-level decision, not related to abstract
schematics.

On schematics level I may create an additional sheet with an connector
and connect the related signals to this connector. Then I can run
gsch2pcb two times, one time with all digital sheets and this connector
sheet, and one time with all remaining sheet and this connector sheet.
But I have to know which signals I have to transfer from one board to
the other in advance. I would prefer to do this on pcb level, having two
sub-boards (each with a connector for carrying signals to the other one)
on one screen/display. Can I insert these connectors inside of pcb
program and mark corresponding pins as connected (i.e. insert ratsnest
lines)?

Any ideas or examples?

Best regards

Stefan Salewski