Re: gEDA-user: How to split one large PCB into two smaller ones

Am Freitag, den 19.09.2008, 17:22 -0400 schrieb DJ Delorie:
> Last time I did this, I did both boards in one *.pcb file.  You can
> tell if you're missing nets in your connector because you'll have rats
> crossing the outlines.

Can someone give a more detailed description or a pointer to it?

In the past I have only routed gsch2pcb generated boards, without
inserting additional footprints or rat lines.

In pcb documentation I found:

>A common way to use rats nests is to place some elements on the board,
>add the rat-lines, and then use a series of moves/rotates of the
>elements until the rats nest appears to have minimum tangling.

So it was my impression that it may be possible to insert two additional
connectors inside of pcb program from elements library and then insert
additional rat lines inside of pcb program to connect pins.

But for me (version 20080202) inserting of additional rats fails, it
fails for already existing pins, and for pins of new inserted elements.
I make "rat-lines" the active layer, select line tool (also tried select
tool and different keys), and try to make a line between two pins. I can
select first pin by clicking with left mouse button, get a rubberband
line following the mouse cursor, but it refuse to snap to other pins.

What did I wrong?

Best regards

Stefan Salewski

PS: I am really exited how well the new router will work for my large (6
layers) board? Maybe it can be used at least for inferior signals --
would be great.