Re: gEDA-user: Laser printer reports?

At 10:33 AM 9/23/2008, you wrote:
John Griessen wrote:
> HP laserjet 4 Si printers work, (old and heavy), they do 600 dpi, the
> toner can have pinholes.

Do you mean a Laserjet 4 is a safe purchase for the photo method?
I've been generically told old printers are better in printing on
transparencies since in the past transparencies were used more than
nowadays (for screening). But I need precise results to rely on. I
recently had a bad experience: I trusted what a guy told about a printer
in a newsgroup and I bought it, then I discovered it was not good at all
for the purpose (I got a too transparent black).

If you want to try a LJ 4 without making an investment (in terms of cash), check out your local FreeCycling group.  I have picked up a number of printers for free (mostly for friends) and they often are fully functional and come with toner.  I got an HP LJ for a friend and I think that was a 4.  I picked up an old IBM workhorse, but new toner is $100, so when it goes empty, it goes back to Freecycle...  Recently I have even seen a number of the HP LJ 5 units... you know, the ones that sit on the floor and are four foot tall!

This area is a bit more suburban/rural.  If you are closer in to a big city, I expect you will find a lot more modern and useful gear available.  Its even ok to post that you are looking for a particular printer.  Freecycle is fantastic and it keeps a lot of stuff out of the landfills.

Rick