Re: gEDA-user: Laser printer reports?

At 11:56 AM 9/23/2008, you wrote:

> Its even ok to post that you are looking for a particular printer.

I really hate it when people ask for stuff on freecycle.  That's just
my opinion, of course.

I know, it seems like beggars shouldn't be choosers, but that is not what Freecycle is about.  The stated purpose is keeping stuff out of the landfills.  There are times when a WANTED posting prompts someone to part with stuff that they were otherwise keeping or even did not expect anyone to want.  I know this from first hand experience.  I have picked up several things, but never posted an OFFER.  But there were a couple of WANTED postings that I ended up answering and giving something away (in one case it was something that I was going to toss shortly).  In those cases it kept something out of the landfill by preventing a new purchase which is really the only way you keep something from the landfill.  The fact that you took something from someone who was going to toss it out doesn't mean it won't end up there eventually.  But if you stop something from being bought, then that guarantees that it won't end up in the landfill.

So don't be proud people.  If you want something that others may be giving away, ask for it on your local Freecycle.  I picked up a computer there and that may keep me from buying a new desktop for a few years.

Rick