Re: gEDA-user: Free router support?

At 12:33 PM 9/23/2008, you wrote:

Looks like that router uses specctra .dsn format files for input and output.

I've looked a little at the specctra .dsn format in the past.  It is not
all that complicated and it does suggest some features missing from pcb
if you wanted to fully take advantage of the router.  My guess is that a
basic specctra export HID would not be too difficult to code up quickly,
but you'd only use the subset that fits in with pcb's current capabilities.

But.... I'm not aware of a published specification of the format which
would be needed to teach PCB to export a layout to the router or import
the results.  If anyone knows of such a thing (legal copies only please)
that would be a useful bit of information to have available.

Kicad has specctra .dsn in/out capability but a cursory glance didn't
turn up a reference to an available document.  I didn't look that
closely though.

FreePCB has this capability.  You can go to the forum at freepcb.com and ask for a spec there.  They are a very helpful group, so if it is available, I am sure they can give it to you or tell you where to find it.

Rick