Re: gEDA-user: a pcb level panelizer tool

At 11:19 AM 9/26/2008, you wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:40:03 -0400
Rick Collins <erudite999@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have scanned this thread, but other than the first post, I am not
> clear on the goal of your efforts.  If you are really just trying to
> "panelize" boards into a step and repeat pattern, there is an easier
> way to do it.  The RS-247X Gerber format has a step and repeat
> command that will allow you to easily indicate your panel
> specs.  Layout the board once, and then add the step and repeat
> command to indicate the X and Y spacing of the boards.  This does not
> cover the drill file, but that is easily extended by repeating the
> drill instructions with the X and Y values incremented appropriately.
>
> Is there a need to generate the entire panel in the layout
> program?  With a little effort, the panel could be viewed without
> actually duplicating all of the tracks and components.  Then other
> items could be added to the panel such as global fiducials.

You can add fiducials, positioning holes, project codes, test objects, Cu
surrunding areas to the panel PCB. They are mainly used only in mass
production, but why not to do it, whet it is only a few line of perl code? ;-)

I'm not saying that anything should *not* be done.  I am just saying that there is a need for a simpler method (built into the main tool and part of the board file) of duplicating a single design along with fiducials as this is all that is most commonly needed for production work.  It is easy to specify the basics of X/Y board count and spacing and where fiducials should go.  Using the script is *not* just a few lines of perl code.  You have to run the script to generate a *new* board file, so now you have two files that have to be kept in step each time you touch the design.  You also have to add your features to the panel file each time you touch the board file.

In a production environment this is too much manual work and is likely to result in an expensive mistake at some point.  Typically the board layout goes through design review.  Then producing the final design file set should be done with as little as possible human touch to minimize the chance of errors being introduced.

I am looking for layout tools that are well suited for a production environment.  The lack of good panelization tools is one of the shortcomings of FreePCB.  It provides board replication by use of the step and repeat Gerber command, but does not provide for global fiducials.  I have yet to consider PCB fully so I don't know how well the script tool works.  On the surface it would appear to have the above issues.  If the script were integrated into the tool it would solve some of the issues.

Rick

Specializing in DSP and FPGA design      URL http://www.arius.com
4 King Ave                               301-682-7772 Voice
Frederick, MD 21701-3110