Re: gEDA-user: a pcb level panelizer tool

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:40:03 -0400
Rick Collins <erudite999@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have scanned this thread, but other than the first post, I am not
> clear on the goal of your efforts.  If you are really just trying to
> "panelize" boards into a step and repeat pattern, there is an easier
> way to do it.  The RS-247X Gerber format has a step and repeat
> command that will allow you to easily indicate your panel
> specs.  Layout the board once, and then add the step and repeat
> command to indicate the X and Y spacing of the boards.  This does not
> cover the drill file, but that is easily extended by repeating the
> drill instructions with the X and Y values incremented appropriately.
>
> Is there a need to generate the entire panel in the layout
> program?  With a little effort, the panel could be viewed without
> actually duplicating all of the tracks and components.  Then other
> items could be added to the panel such as global fiducials.

You can add fiducials, positioning holes, project codes, test objects, Cu
surrunding areas to the panel PCB. They are mainly used only in mass
production, but why not to do it, whet it is only a few line of perl code? ;-)

--
Levente Kovacs
http://logonex.eu