Re: gEDA-user: a pcb level panelizer tool

I have scanned this thread, but other than the first post, I am not clear on the goal of your efforts.  If you are really just trying to "panelize" boards into a step and repeat pattern, there is an easier way to do it.  The RS-247X Gerber format has a step and repeat command that will allow you to easily indicate your panel specs.  Layout the board once, and then add the step and repeat command to indicate the X and Y spacing of the boards.  This does not cover the drill file, but that is easily extended by repeating the drill instructions with the X and Y values incremented appropriately.

Is there a need to generate the entire panel in the layout program?  With a little effort, the panel could be viewed without actually duplicating all of the tracks and components.  Then other items could be added to the panel such as global fiducials.

Rick

At 07:16 PM 9/16/2008, you wrote:
On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 19:07 +0200, Stephan Boettcher wrote:

> Saving a copy of the block into a file, doing the renumber with sed,
> and importing the resulting copies was what I did.

I wrote a PCB plugin to do this. It is a little ugly - uses a fixed-name
temp file, makes assumptions - that various operations work, but it
"works for me".

The action is "sedrename", which pops up a dialog box to enter the sed
_expression_. It remembers the last _expression_ entered, and the rename
just operates on elements - not the netlist.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,
University of Cambridge,
9, JJ Thomson Avenue,
Cambridge
CB3 0FA

Specializing in DSP and FPGA design      URL http://www.arius.com
4 King Ave                               301-682-7772 Voice
Frederick, MD 21701-3110