Re: gEDA-user: a pcb level panelizer tool

Rick Collins wrote:
> At 11
>> > Is there a need to generate the entire panel in the layout
>> > program?  With a little effort, the panel could be viewed without
>> > actually duplicating all of the tracks and components.  Then other
>> > items could be added to the panel such as global fiducials.
>>
>> You can add fiducials, positioning holes, project codes, test objects, Cu
>> surrunding areas to the panel PCB. They are mainly used only in mass
>> production, but why not to do it, whet it is only a few line of perl
>> code? ;-)
>
> I'm not saying that anything should *not* be done.  I am just saying
> that there is a need for a simpler method (built into the main tool and
> part of the board file) of duplicating a single design along with
> fiducials as this is all that is most commonly needed for production
> work.

This kind of thing may not get coded in c as a plugin with GUI features
unless you do it.  It cries out for a simple menu and key binding that
runs a perl script that modifies the .pcb layout, saves a backup, and
reloads the .pcb file created as the current one.

John Griessen

PS I might get around to making a pcb panel template with fiducials in
January 2009.   Fits my ideas well.