gEDA-user: Breaking footprint to seperate elements looses solder side elements

I am trying my hand at modifying an existing footprint, 14 pioval pads
from the newlib tests. I have never done this before and I an  having a
problem. I place the footprint, select it and go the buffer pull down
and "copy" it to buffer and then explode it into separate elements. But,
then when I place it on the layout the pads on the solder side aren't
there, The ones on the component side are there, but not the solder
side. They just disappear. What am I doing wrong?

Jeff
wd4nmq