Re: gEDA-user: Documentation for convert_sym README file

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 17:07 -0500, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> "Program name: convert_sym
> Written by: Mike Jarabek
> convert_sym takes ViewLogic Viewdraw schematic or symbol and outputs a
> gschem compatible file. This utility should be considered a work in
> progress. Be warned, this program has quite a few limitations. See the
> README file in the utils/ directory for more info. This program is
> written in C. There is also an awk version which is old and no longer
> supported, however it is included in the distribution as reference."
>
> I can not find the README file because I can't figure out which utils/
> directory he is referring to.

It isn't installed actually. Probably a bug (even if it is a packaging
bug), since all the other gEDA packages seem to get their README files
installed.

The "utils" folder is actually part of the gEDA source distribution,
which is installed from the "geda-utils" Debian / Ubuntu package.

Take a look here for the file you're after:

http://git.gpleda.org/?p=gaf.git;a=blob_plain;f=utils/README;hb=HEAD

> Be nice I am new to this, my Viewdraw crashed and I am trying to see
> if
> I can use gEDA gschem program to get at my schematics.

Good luck. I fear you may need it.

> There is a /usr/share/doc/geda-utils/README.Debian file with one line:
> This is alpha software. See www.geda.seul.org for further information.

That comment is rather out of date. "alpha" software?

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,