Re: [gftp] SCP support in gFTP ?

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:19:51AM +0100, Alexandre Aractingi wrote:
> Le mer 07/01/2004 ?? 22:19, Brian Masney a ??crit :
> > I would consider adding this feature, but in order to do directory listings
> > and to do other operations gftp would have to spawn a shell on the remote server
> > to do this. Then it would have to worry about users' shell and shell prompts. It
> > would be entirely too messy to do this. By using sftp-server I don't have to
> > worry about any of this.
>
> Thanks for your answer Brian!
> So do you think it's still worth trying to add it to gFTP? If you spawn
> a command like "ssh server_address ls" to list a dir, and open a new ssh
> connection like that each time the user wants to list a new dir, you
> won't have to deal with shell prompts, right? (the connectionn would be
> closed right after the results would be displayed)
> I used to use WinSCP2 under Windows, which did exactly this, and it was
> quite convenient...
> Thanks,

Yes, if you did it that way, gftp wouldn't have to parse the shell prompts. It
would have to reconnect often is the only disadvantage. I don't have time to work
on this now since I am currently working on cleaning up the text/GTK user
interface code. If someone else would like to work on adding support for this,
I would consider adding it. It's fairly straightforward to add a new protocol to
gftp. As a start, copy lib/local.c to lib/scp.c and start to implement the SCP
code in that new file.

Brian