Re: Compaq Integrated card support

>    This is not a new problem...  If you check dejanews, querying on
> "tlan" you will get pages of people who have trouble with this card.  It
> is workable, but not easy.  If we can make it easy...

One of nice things about Compaq moves towards Linux is they will have
to be careful about hardware in their boxes.  And this will be bad for
the sales of card manufacturers not supprting Linux.

>    On to the Vid card.  A CL GD5446 with 4 meg.  However, it will NOT
> run 1024x768 in 24 bit.  16 bit is fine...  Still don't know why.  Tried

Perhaps the card doesn't support more

> 16 bit on a lark, and it just worked.  Again, this is poorly documented,
> but I can fix that.

Problem is that the database of Xconfigurator seems broken relative to
ColorDepths.

>    Anyway, the system is now up, and has a 2.5 gig /home partition.  It
> is also on a 576k link to the net.  Do we want a dev server?  Keeping in
> mind, that it will also be a test box until I can get another one up
> here.  :-)  I now have 2 different Compaqs running Inde with the gamut

Another member has offered me space.

> of install difficulty.  I like this distribution a lot!  I also have a
> BUNCH of people wanting me to mail them CD's.  We are looking at 2
> months before the next update, correct?

Yes about this time.  I had to tell CD manufacturers to keep cool
because I feared by the time they had pressed the CD RedHat would
issue 6.0 and this letting them stranded with obsolete Indy CDs.

However a single guy with a CD recorder making them after getting an
order will not have this problem.  I also have had mails from people
asking for CDs

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org