RE: Compaq Integrated card support

>>    This is not a new problem...  If you check dejanews, querying on
>> "tlan" you will get pages of people who have trouble with this card.  It
>> is workable, but not easy.  If we can make it easy...
>
>One of nice things about Compaq moves towards Linux is they will have
>to be careful about hardware in their boxes.  And this will be bad for
>the sales of card manufacturers not supprting Linux.

   They have already ditched this nasty chip.  <It was too CPU
intensive>  The problem is, I have about 70 machines with it now.  There
are also a ton more on the shelves.  I do like the fact that vendors are
now considering Linux a reality, but we still have the thousands of
units in the channel to deal with.

>>    On to the Vid card.  A CL GD5446 with 4 meg.  However, it will NOT
>> run 1024x768 in 24 bit.  16 bit is fine...  Still don't know why.  Tried
>
>Perhaps the card doesn't support more

   It does under 95.  I can run 1024x768 24b, and 800x600 24b, and
neither would work under Inde.  Once I have a fix, I can work it into
the AutoDocs.  <The most important part of any product is the name...>
<<For those of you outside the US, it is a quote from the Dilbert TV
show>>

>> 16 bit on a lark, and it just worked.  Again, this is poorly documented,
>> but I can fix that.
>
>Problem is that the database of Xconfigurator seems broken relative to
>ColorDepths.

   It detects it properly, and thinks it can do what it should do.  The
problem is, it doesn't do it. :-)  I get a solid interlaced screen.  The
mouse is a solid square with skipped alternating scan lines.  A click
causes a 2 inch wide vertical bar of a slightly lighter blue.  I have
not tried without KDE.  Should I?  Also, Xvidtune crashes on any 24 bit
screen.

>>    Anyway, the system is now up, and has a 2.5 gig /home partition.  It
>> is also on a 576k link to the net.  Do we want a dev server?  Keeping in
>> mind, that it will also be a test box until I can get another one up
>> here.  :-)  I now have 2 different Compaqs running Inde with the gamut
>
>Another member has offered me space.
>
>> of install difficulty.  I like this distribution a lot!  I also have a
>> BUNCH of people wanting me to mail them CD's.  We are looking at 2
>> months before the next update, correct?
>
>Yes about this time.  I had to tell CD manufacturers to keep cool
>because I feared by the time they had pressed the CD RedHat would
>issue 6.0 and this letting them stranded with obsolete Indy CDs.

   Speaking of 6.0, have your seen the SuSE 6.0?  It looks like some new
configuration tools that could be handy.  However, I have not seen it,
just a review.

>However a single guy with a CD recorder making them after getting an
>order will not have this problem.  I also have had mails from people
>asking for CDs

   I have a CD mirror of the distribution directory now.  <Including
NoCD>  I can send out CD's.  What would be appropriate to charge for
time and trouble?  $20 including domestic shipping?  If this is OK, send
me the list, and I will tell people.  I could easily send out 10 a day.
I would like the AutoDocs in it, but I can wait 2 months. :-)

			Lee