Re: Blender status change

> On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>
> > and they like and use blender, then when they want to get the latest
> > version of it, they'll find that they have to pay money for it.
>
> I don't having to "pay" being a problem in itself. The main problem is
> that we would effectively be advertising the non-crippled product.
>
> > everything. So you aren't locked into a specific company if you want to
> > upgrade, or even fix things yourself and re-release the changes.
>
> but was blender ever "free" in this sense ? I thought they had a very
> restrictive license.

Blender was distributable for free but not on media like CDROMS where
you have to pay the media.  However I asked them and I gave their
consent for it being included in Indy CDROMS.

I wanted it in because I thought it was a program who would be useful
for attracting people to Linux.  But the goal is not using Indy as a
tool for attracting people to such or such commercial app.  If you
have a commercial app and want to increase sales then you pay for
having the demo included in a magazine.  While I have nothing against
"honest" commercial apps I want nor work for free in order to increase
their sales nor accept money from them in order to include demos in
Indy.  Thus I think crippleware should be left out unless someone
disagrees.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org