Re: IPTRAF 3.0.1 - no interest?

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 09:25:34PM +0100, Jaroslav Fojtik wrote:
>> Yes, I agree. It would be great to merge all patches together.
>>
>> I could propose my www space to use iptraf.  Unfortunatelly I have limited bandwith,
>> but it should never mind for this temporary period.
> [snip]

> Hi folks,

Hi Roger,

> I'm the one who set Gerard up with the iptraf site here originally. It
> sure does look like he's disappeared, doesn't it. :(
>
> What does that mean we should do? Does somebody else want to pick up
> maintaining it? Or should we just let it quietly die? I haven't been
> keeping track of the landscape of similar projects lately.

I've made a short investigation lately and I think iptraf doesn't have
many alternatives.  tcpdump is the closest I know but that's not an
ncurses application.  iptraf is definitely better visually.

> In any case, we probably shouldn't just clobber the current site. But
> we can make a 'new' directory and put newer stuff in there. And if the
> original author doesn't show up and complain, then I guess we'd phase
> out the original site.

I think the whole project should be moved to SourceForge because of 1)
better community visibility, 2) much better mailing list management
with Mailman, 3) issue tracking ability 4) the project will surely
stay there and won't disappear.

--
Laci  <http://monda.hu>