Re: GNow

>> etc...
>> Just a quick comment on this...using a library won't help you learn what
is
>> going on
>> "under the covers".  Hence, many people(myself included) would rather go
>> about it
>> without using a library (at least the first time).
>> -Brett

>Well, I admit that it was the idea when we think do not use libraries.
>What do you think we should do?

I don't know what you should do, keep in mind that I don't know what your
goals are and I'm basically a novice myself.  That said, here's what I have
tried (in no particular order)

1)  Programming straight X-Lib ...A pain in the butt and poor performance,
but I'm glad I learned a little about it.
2)  GGI (General Graphics Interface??)...seems like a very good idea and
was easier to use than straight X, but when I was trying to use it, there
were too many changes to keep up with.  This may have improved.  Also, as
with every library, it is nice to be shielded from the details, but you are
somewhat dependant on that library to support you.
3)  FBCON (the linux frame-buffer console)  This requires a 2.2 kernel and
I'm sure doesn't support as many graphics cards as X.  However, this is the
option I like most.  You basically make some OS calls to initialize the
console and then you can directly mmap the video memory.  I've got an
asteroids clone up and running under fbcon, which I'm going to try and put
on the linuxgames website if you are interested.
4)  Mesa (free opengl for linux)  I only briefly looked at this.  It wasn't
designed for games, so it seemed like it was going to have a higher
learning curve.  Also, I think the performance is rather sluggish, but with
future hardware acceleration this may improve.  Of all of the above,
knowing this would probably help you get a job in the game industry the
most.
5) Windows GDI functions-Of course this isn't linux, but I thought you
might like to know my experience anyway.  I really thought this sucked.  I
felt like I had little control over the code, and it was really a pain in
the ass to get documentation.  Easily the worst of the above options.
Perhaps DirectX is better.

Also, I would put in a plug for POV-Ray, a 3-D rendering programming.  It
is a fairly time consuming, but it renders beautiful graphics and is
suitable for multi-frame animations.

These are just my opinions.  If others have have different
experiences/opinions, please share them with the group.  That's what we're
here for.

Good Luck,
Brett