Re: Business models

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Jan Ekholm wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Mark Collins wrote:
>>
>> >How do you guys think people should go about selling Linux games?
>> >
>> No, I'm not pessimistic about Linux games, it's just that nobody just
>> makes games I want to buy and play, makes them work well and
>> easily available. I *do* have one commercial Linux game, which is exactly
>> as many commercial DOS games as I have, although I haven't played either
>> for over a year (they don't work)... :-)
>
>Do you imply that commercial Linux games does not work?
>
>I have seven Loki Titles - each one works perfectly. If you have troubles
>running your game, you should contact your vendor.

My Myth2 only runs accelerated with the obsolete Glide API, and software
is not an option, so yes, it does not work for me. I'd be happy to be
proven wrong on that one, since I never completed the game and I'd still
like to play it.

Linux games will be easier to support/develop as hw-accelerated 3D is
standard along with a standard sound library etc. Currently it's a hassle
to get to work. My machine is too updated for Myth2 to work, but still too
obsolete for anything never to work... :-(

And what do you think big game companies like Loki would do to support one
single fscking customer in a remote small market area such as Finland? :-)

So, the point is that if I want something I want to play on Linux I have
to write it myself.