Re: question about licenses in relation to games ...

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Darel Finkbeiner wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Jan 1999, you wrote:
> >> Would any of the GNU/GPL/etc licenses forbid putting an ad
> >> banner within the code from which money would be generated?

No

> >> So then the game itself would remain free, as in it would
> >> not
> >> be bought or sold, but profit off the game would be solely
> >> from the ad banner.  Its a little hard to describe what I'm
> >> getting at.  The freeware version of webferret does what I
> >> am describing,
> >> http://www.ferretsoft.com/netferret/download.htm

But I think it would annoy people.

> >That's actually an interesting way of doing it.. though I think it would
> >be easier if you had a server that hosted the game.. such as battlenet and
> >when you logged in you got hit with a short spam of some company for 5
> >seconds.. or soem crap like that.  It might be hard to update in the
> >actual code.  You could name the home planet of the alien after the
> >company sponsoring it and change that on a daily basis or something..

I think a different but better way to cross over a sellable game and an
opensource game would be to realse the game as open source but then "sell"
the art work or extra-artwork. Many of the games for Linux sort of operate
on this priniple as it is except that the poeple making money are
different from the people doing the coding:)

Like the warcraft clone that requires the warcraft cd.

-  Bryan Patrick Coleman  -  Triad Linux Users Group  -  bpcolema@uncg.edu  -
     -  http://www.wayward.net/tlug/index.html  -  tlug-mail@uncg.edu  -