Re: Tux Racer 0.10 Released

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Keith Lucas wrote:

> >> And when things don't install, I tend to just regard it as being the fault of
> >> that box. In the past I've mentioned to people about FOO din't install under
> >> slackware 1.BAR and they go "WTF are you still running that for?" so these
> days
> >> I don't.
> >Spending a couple of hours installing a clean modern OS will help IMMENSELY
> >and more than pay for itself in saved time downstream.
> I should point out that I haven't yet bought a new hard disk.
> I mean, there's actually all sorts of complications. My ISP puts the phone down
> on me if I even mention Linux in conversations with them,

I know this sucks, but : "Get another ISP". Seriously. That is not the
kind of service you would want.

> Actually, Red Hat 6, I expected to install something sensible to cope with my
> VooDooII card on the other machine and it didn't. The RPMs aren't even on the CD
> as far as I can tell. So it installed a software Mesa which doesn't help a lot.

RedHat has a long story of not including stuff that is not open
source. Since Glide has not been until recently, I assume that it is one
of the reasons that the did not include the package.

Glide is now open source. You can get rpm packages at

Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd@challenge.dk
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same reason
that only children read books with only pictures in them. Language, be it
English or something else, is the only tool flexible enough to accomplish a
sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                                     - Bill Garrett