Re: SDL vs GGI

Christian Reiniger wrote:

> >I also happen to agree with Dave Taylor on the subject of newer games
> >being behaving windowed applications, supporting things like cut & paste
> >and popping "regular" windows for alerts. If you also do, forget GGI.
>
> I don't know about you, but I sure don't want to play most games with a
> window border and with normal window controls etc. I want to get completely
> immersed in a game, I want to feel its atmosphere, I want to *be* in it for
> the time I play. Seeing the normal windowing stuff in the background
> destroys that atmosphere.

Yes, I had this point in with ddt, we discussed it and what came out of
it is that, while a fullscreen option ought to be there just for that
reason, that being a windowed application has more advantages than
problems.

The "ideal" thing is thus a windowed application with an option to do
fullscreen for the main game window.

When we say windowed, by the way, we don't mean a console in an X
window, we mean the full thing. If you just do a single window without
any support for cut&paste and other things, then yes, GGI is the thing,
that's for sure. But the thing is that I'm aiming for "ideal". :-)

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/