Re: RFC - first batch of OGRE images

Chris wrote:

> > I was kinda hoping for an Ogre in diapers, an Ogre on a skateboard
> > and an Ogre in in a compromising adult position...OK - maybe not
> > the last one...but you get the idea!   :-)
>
> There's two problems with that: the scope for misinterpretation...

Look at this:  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1/ogre.gif

...I'm no artist - I 'stole' the ogre image from some web site or other
(http://www.google.com/images -- We Luv U!) and added the banner and the
'M' myself (...hmmm - you could tell - right?)

The point being that - just like the ESRB ratings scheme, all you need is
a big, bold capital letter 'E', 'T', 'M', 'AO'.  Everything else is just
for cute effect.  People can click on it if they want explanations...once
it's recognisable as a 'rating', the letter is sufficiently familiar to
people who actually care about ratings that they'll know.

> ...and the
> difficulty in accurately displaying the rating without needing a rating
> for the rating!

Yes - I *was* kidding!

> (Well, ok, there are three problems - drawing a Ogre in
> different positions would have taken a lot longer than the few minutes
> I spent on those images! ;)))

Yes - and I confess that I could do no better without stealing a probably
copyrighted image.

> Using an abstract representation including
> single words - "Mature", "Adult", "Children" etc - or age ranges conveys
> the classification in less ambiguous way. While the Ogre graphic could
> be used, it would probably need additional information in the rating box
> to ensure the user identifies the rating correctly.

Yes - something like the little sign with an M, T, E in it.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net